Tripe Soup - A Traditional Romanian Food
Tripe soup is one of the classic Romanian dishes. It is a must try for all foreign visitors to Romania, but now you can try it at home. Tripe is the honeycomb structured stomach tissue of cows. The soup is easy to make and delicious.
Tripe is more difficult to find in grocery stores in USA, but sometimes you can find it in the more specialized butchery shops.
Tripe Soup Recipe
Cooking time: 2 hours and 15 minutes (preparation: 15 minutes; boiling: 2 hours)
Makes: 6 servings
- 2 pounds tripe
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery root
- 1 parsley root
- 1 onion
- peppercorns (black pepper)
- 4-5 tablespoons sour cream
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons apple vinegar
- Scrub and wash three times the tripe (two times with hot water and last time with cold water).
- Put the vegetables and the tripe in a large pot with cold salted water. Simmer for 2 hours at low heat.
- Drain the tripe and let it cool. Set aside the vegetables.
- Cut the tripe into thin stripes and put it back in the broth.
- Add the sour cream and some minced garlic.
- Season it with more sour cream, vinegar, salt or minced garlic (taste and adjust the seasoning).
- Serve with hot peppers on the side.